Saturday, February 2, 2008

“I live in fear, but I am fearless.” – Amanda Jibilize, ninth grade student at Nyaluza Secondary


“My poem talks about AIDS”
By: Mziyanda Yawa, Grade 9B, Nathaniel Nyaluza High School


We buried our families and friends because of you AIDS.
You kill our heros here in South Africa,
Doctors, nurses, they try their best to heal you AIDS.
They try medicine but you still keep going killing out families
AIDS is a parasite to old ones.
You parasite to young ones
You parasite to old ones
Most of the people dead in South Africa because of you.
Doctors and nurses, they give their patient medicine but still,
you’re a parasite to them.
Where is your manners AIDS?
You are the enemy of human beings.
Why AIDS?
How could you do this is in our families and to our loved ones?
You are so selfish AIDS.






“Death”
By: Sanele “Lucas” Ntshingana, Grade 9A, Nathaniel Nyaluza High School

People have read the wreaths,
Messages were passed from one to another
Filled with tears,
Death is ugly and messy,
I curse death,
It’s something which is nothing,
It’s something which does not distinguish between
The house of a rich man and that of a poor man.
It’s something which does not distinguish orphans.
No, death is ugly.

It takes worthy children from this Earth,
And it leaves criminals and scoundrels.
It takes worthy children from this Earth,
And leaves diviners and witches.
It takes worthy children from this earth,
And it leaves witches and faith healers.

I curse death!
I curse death!
Yes, it’s true that the way heaven passes
Into death, but it passes with difficulty.
It passes with pain,
It passes with a curse.
Death is untidy and ugly.






“Story about Jason”
By: Masixole Nkohla, Grade 9B, Nathaniel Nyaluza High School


Once upon a time the story begins. There was a tall man who came far away from New York. This man is called Jason and he is a white man with short hair. He grew up in New York but he wanted to visit South Africa and one day his dreams came true. He comes to South Africa to learn at university. He also loves black like he loves his people. And also wants to learn how to speak the Xhosa language. He is not a dangerous man as you see him. He has a smile on his face and he don’t want other people to fight and shout at one another. The man also visits Amasango school. Jason is a good man. He also teaches in our school called Nyaluza School. And finally, he is our “XX” teacher [which means] he teaches us English, his home language. My story ends.






“Is this Life”
By: Amanda Jibilize, Grade 9B, Nathaniel Nyaluza High School


I’m here, I’m alive
I’m looking over my shoulder to live.
I say I live in fear of my life.
I cry tears of blood.
Coz I feed my mind with goods
I pray for my life to be good.

I live in fear, but I am fearless.
During the night, I hear the gunshots
They make loud sounds like bolts.
I live with a gun under my pillow.
Put a rifle beside the pillow;
I say is this life? Is this life?
During the day there is no life but crime
But thugs say there is a life in crime.

I listen to TVs and radios,
I hear nothing but crime stories.
I ask, is this life? Is this life?
No one knows but the creator,
Nobody knows, only God.
So I say, let’s ask him, let him tell us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mziyanda, Sanele, Nkohla and Amanda!! What amazing, gripping tales (and truths) that you have shared.
I won's sleep tonight for asking my Spirit Is This Life? Is It? I agree with the writer, Let's ask God, for only He knows.

I too hate selfish, deceitful Aids and it's ugly companion: Death. Must you always rip families, communities and countries apart.

As for the Umlungu, He is very kind indeed. Even to me so far away, I have lived dreams through Him. It is God's image in humans like Jason that gives a little rest to us the weary from fighting Death and losing our loved ones to Aids. It is because of God that we know, deep within that Life is in God's hand.

Journey on, write on.