Friday, February 15, 2008

"How am I going to grow into a better, brighter human being?" - Zikhona Nela

"Parents, teens and the dating world"
By Zikhona Nela, Grade 10, Nathaniel Nyaluza High School


Experts say that nothing can test a parent quite as much as the trials of raising a teenage child. Yesterday's sweet, innocent girl or book smart boy can turn almost overnight into a mood-swinging, rebellious bundle of hormones, and a once peaceful and quiet home can become a war zone or battle ground.

But not all teens are like that. Some teens listen to their families about dating and as a teen myself, I try to get along with my family and friends all the time. For example, my mother and siblings say that I'm not old enough to date but I'm going to be 16 in September. My cousin started dating at 14 and they won't let me date. To tell you the truth, I have had boyfriends without my family knowing. I only told my cousin. The only reason that my mother doesn't want me to date or have boyfriends is that she's afraid that I will sleep with someone and get AIDS, STDs or fall pregnant.

But we get educated all the time at school about these things! I'm not that stupid! I know what I want in life and I won't risk my life by sleeping with any guy who says "I love u" to me. I know how it feels to be heart broken especially by someone who you thought was the one for you. I'm not going to go back there, I understand why my family doesn't want me to date at the same time they need to let me make mistakes and learn from them because if I don't make those mistakes, how am I going to grow into a better, brighter human being?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear readers,

my name is zikhona nela and i live in grahamstown, south africa. i am a 10th grader at nathaniel nyaluza high school where i am taught english by jason torreano. i am 15-years-old. i love talking to people. i spend most of my time listening to music when i am at home with my mother and siblings. i don't like to be disturbed when i'm working especially when i'm writing. i like to think positive thoughts all the time. i am the kind of person who takes a long time to forgive a person who has done me or my family wrong in any way.

i love laughing with friends and family, and i like starting conversations about silly things.

from,

zikhona

Anonymous said...

Hi Zikhona,
My name is Leshawn and I live in New York. I am in 9th grade and my favorite subject is math :) I love listening to music. Everything and anything. Being positive is a great characteristic!

Nice reading your posts-